Guide for Authors
Authors submitting articles are required to include a cover letter with their manuscripts confirming that all elements of the submission are in compliance with the journal publication policy.
You can use this list to carry out a final check of your submission before you send it to the journal for review. Ensure that the following items are present:
- One author has been designated as the corresponding author with contact details:
- E-mail address
- Full postal address
- All necessary files have been uploaded:
- Include abstract and keywords
- All figures (include relevant captions)
- All tables (including titles, description, footnotes)
- Ensure all figure and table citations in the text match the files provided
- Indicate clearly if color should be used for any figures in print Graphical Abstracts / Highlights files (where applicable) Supplemental files (where applicable)
- Further considerations
- The manuscript has been ‘spell-checked’ and ‘grammar-checked’
- All references mentioned in the reference list are cited in the text, and vice versa
- Permission has been obtained for use of copyrighted material from other sources (including the internet)
- Relevant declarations of interest have been made
- Journal policies detailed in this guide have been reviewed
- Suggested Reviewers and contact details provided, based on journal requirements
Before You Begin
Ethics in publishing
Please see our information pages on Ethics in publishing
and Ethical guidelines for journal publication
Declaration of interest
All authors are requested to disclose any actual or potential conflict of interest including any financial, personal or other relationships with other people or organizations within three years of beginning the submitted work that could inappropriately influence, or be perceived to influence, their work.
Submission declaration and verification
Submission of an article implies that the work described has not been published previously (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture or academic thesis or as an electronic preprint), that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, that its publication is approved by all authors and tacitly or explicitly by the responsible authorities where the work was carried out, and that, if accepted, it will not be published elsewhere in the same form, in English or in any other language, including electronically without the written consent of the copyright holder. To verify originality, your article will be checked by the originality detection service.
Changes to authorship
Authors are expected to consider carefully the list and order of authors before submitting their manuscript and provide the definitive list of authors at the time of the original submission. Any addition, removal or rearrangement of author names in the authorship list should be made only before the manuscript has been accepted and only if approved by the journal editor. To request such a change, the editor must receive the following from the corresponding author: (a) the reason for the change in author list and (b) written confirmation (e-mail, letter) from all authors that they agree with the addition, removal or rearrangement. In the case of addition or removal of authors, this includes confirmation from the author being added or removed.
Only in exceptional circumstances will the editor consider the addition, removal or rearrangement of authors after the manuscript has been accepted. While the editor considers the request, publication of the manuscript will be suspended. If the manuscript has already been published in an online issue, any requests approved by the editor will result in a corrigendum.